We’ve all been there. We’ve dealt with the roller coaster of emotion that comes with pressing “send” on an email marketing campaign. The highs; the lows…they keep us alive, coming back for more every time.
Does this stream-of-consciousness seem familiar…?
1. This email looks so good!
2. Yeah, I really love this email. I’m so ready to send it!
3. Email approval from boss: “Great, but can you make the headline pop a little more?” … Yep, OK …
4. It’s still okay, though. My original concept got edited down way less this time.
5. OK! Looks good in my inbox. Let’s test and make sure it looks good everywhere else.
6. Wait, why is the word “Wednesday” an ugly blue link on the iPhone?
7. Hmmm…Let me check it in Outlook 2007 real fast…
8. Why is there a gap between those two images?
9. Is that how you spell that word? It doesn’t look right anymore.
10. Gchat to coworker: “Hey, will you take a look at this email real quick? I just want another set of eyes on it.”
11. Coworker says it doesn’t look good in the Gmail mobile app.
12. Boss randomly chimes back in with a screenshot … Who even USES Lotus Notes, though?
13. Sure, let me make that last edit you just now requested, despite having approved it earlier.
14. Time to make the plain-text version!
15. Is this list segment correct? Let me just spot-check a few subscribers and make sure they match.
16. Do our benefits cover therapy? Surely they cover therapy. And Tums.
17. I’m 15 minutes late sending this now. I’ll call it an A/B test on send time. We don’t A/B test enough!
18. Oh. Pressing this one single button means this email is going to a million people. Nbd.
20. (5 seconds later)
21. The email is out. To a million people. Because I made it so.
22. OMG, people are clicking.
23. Oh, hey! People are buying!
24. …Then a coworker replies to the email to say it ended up in their Spam folder.
25. CMO replies to email to say it ended up in their Spam folder.
26. Annnnd let’s get ready to do it all again. Tomorrow’s “Newsletter Day!!!”